Tuesday, November 29, 2011

WRECKING (WE)LATIONSHIPS



Yesterday, It's me and you; we make two
Nothing can tear us apart
Today,  It's a lie, a cheat, and a bad thing that grew
Something that can distant the heart
When dishonesty rips
It aims at wrecking (we)lationships
Pensacola Helene

Two Faces of Honest. With or without DIS
Trust Heart looked at her brother, Integrity, "Don't do it" Integrity was thinking of stealing an idea from one of his co-worker. Trust was trying to talk him out of it. 
"Why?" Integrity said, "They would do it to me?" Trust sighed as she gestured for her kin man to sit down.
"Let me tell you a story...  I had an older brother, named Honest and I was crazy about him. I followed him everywhere and we went together like two peas in a pod. People loved Honest. He made people happy and was really good at helping them stay together as friends, or spouses, or relatives or co-workers...or whatever kind of relationship they were in. Then one day, I begin to hear rumors about Honest, that he had cheated on one of his girlfriends and of course he denied it and said it wasn't true. In spite of it, I kept following and loving him as usual, because I believed in his nature. Then, I heard he told a lie on one of his best friends and got him into serious trouble. His friend's name was Hope and she warned me about hanging out with him, but even with that I continue to follow him. I must admit, it began to disturb me when people started calling him DIS Honest. I continue to follow my brother, but I noticed it was at a distant now; I was slowing my pace. Something greater than me was pushing me back. I don't even remember when I started to change toward him, but I did. I tried hard to stay close to Honest, because we had so much in common, but the bad things kept growing and growing between us. One night we were sitting down in the backyard talking and shooting the breeze like old times. Both of us liked to write stories and had gotten good grades for writing the best essays in High School. We both pursued writing as a hobby, but my stories had started getting some serious attention. That particular night I told Honest about a new story idea I had and a few weeks later Honest published my story. He made lots of money from a story he stole from me. Of course after that, we parted ways."

"I'm sorry, Trust. I didn't know DIS Honest was ever a relative of yours."

"Well, you gotta be careful of the labels and suffixes you put in front of your name. They tell a lot about you, like Mr. or Mrs. or Dr or DIS. When you put DIS in front of your name it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. DIS, particularly, has a way of reversing your whole life and future; tearing it asunder from things that were once considered good."

"I see what you are trying to teach me. If I steal my co-workers idea I'll risk turning into a DIS.. is that right" Trust nodded. "Whatever happened to DIS Honest"

"Well, we never hung out or spoke again. Except for once, when he called to ask for forgiveness – I did - but he wanted me to be a part of his life again just like that" Trust snapped her fingers. "...and I couldn't. The money he made with my story went down the drain from all his shady dealings. He goes around making people miserable now by wrecking (we)lationships with dishonesty. Nobody trusts him now."

"I guess he's lost you for good, huh Trust."

"Well, that's the price you pay, when you decide to DIS people. I followed Honest freely back when we were friends, but now the restoral of that friendship would cost him something. He didn't want to stop being a DIS so... the rest is history."

"I guess it's true, once you lose trust, it's hard to get it back."

"Some people can get  it back. They have to totally get rid of the DIS title and really work on getting back their original reputation with those they Dissed. If not, they can forget it. "

Trust's story changed Integrity's mind, especially after he saw DIS Honest in action and witnessed what a mess he was making of people's lives. He didn't want to go down that road. Integrity liked having Trust as part of his Life. Integrity went on to do great things in his company, without having to DIS his co-worker or anyone else. He is now CEO of Integrity Enterprise, a fortune 500 company. And yes, he's RICH, not just with money, but with integrity of heart.

It's okay to be ambitious and desire for your dreams to come true, but there has to be an inclusion of trust and honesty as you enter into relationships with others. Trust is a valuable commodity and when it follows us into our life's journey we are the better for it. Trust is the most valuable gift we can give in our relationship with others, along with honesty and integrity. Too many people have sold those traits down the drain chasing the Almighty dollar and the American dream.  Trust is built over time, but can be torn down in one moment with Dis Honest. Like a wrecking ball Dis Honest comes into your life wrecking (we)lationships, sometimes forever. Those who can rebuild from the ruins of Dis Honest behavior are among the exceptions to the rule. Consider this simple message from Trust and don't even put yourself in that position. In your pursuits, also chase after trust, honesty, and integrity so that you will have a holistic and well-rounded Richness both externally and internally.  If you were thinking of doing something that may take you down the "other" road, "Stop now" before you become a DIS and spend a lifetime of Wrecking (We)lationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment